Welcome to the Lecture Capture (Replay) homepage. Within this site, you will find helpful information about the Lecture Capture service, how the software works, how to install the recorder as well as training material and links to case studies.
NEW - With disruptions to teaching - click here - http://help.it.ox.ac.uk/replay/remotelearning - for our Remote Learning advice including PDFs and screencasts for staff installing the manual recorder to work with the VLE.
The Lecture Capture service offers software tools to automatically capture lecture presentations and deliver them securely to students within the University's virtual learning environments (Canvas and Weblearn). The software is easy to install and use and has recorded thousands of hours of material since January 2014.
To understand how the process works we suggest that you browse the information below and then head over to the Getting Started Guide followed by the Training Material. If you have further questions please visit the Frequently Asked Questions page or the Troubleshooting page. To get in touch with the Lecture Capture service, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
The service offers regular free face to face training sessions and these are listed on the Replay Training page.
What is Lecture Capture ?
The Lecture Capture service is provided by Panopto and can be downloaded to presentation devices to record the screen, slides, video and audio. It is available for download in two packages, a manual recorder and a remote recorder.
The manual recorder software is available for Windows or Mac OS. The remote recorder software for scheduling is available for Windows only and allows for remote access and scheduling.
Lectures can be automatically recorded on the presentation computer or a personal laptop. Recordings are then automatically uploaded and transferred to a secure Panopto cloud server immediately after the lecture. Recordings can either be released immediately or they can be reviewed and edited to make minor changes before released to students.
VLE integration ( Canvas / WebLearn)
Canvas and Weblearn provide a ‘gateway’ into the Replay lecture capture portal, with the following benefits:
- Single Sign On - no need for separate logins into Replay Lecture Capture.
- Secure access for members of the VLE site only.
- Lecturers can review, approve and release recordings via the VLE tools.
- Students view the recordings via the VLE course site.
- Recordings are hosted in the Panopto cloud. No recordings are stored directly within VLE.
To access Panopto on the web, you must login to the VLE with your SSO and browse to Panopto. It is not possible to log in on the Panopto website directly. Below is a quick guide on how to login:
- Open a web browser.
- Log into Canvas or Weblearn using a Single Sign On.
- For Weblearn users, select your course page and click the link to Replay Lecture Capture. If this is not possible, click on the icon by your name (Weblearn) and this will show a 'Recorded Lectures' button. Click this.
- On the following page, click 'Press to re-launch page'. This will open Panopto in a new tab. This is where lectures or presentations can be replayed.
- For Canvas users, go into your course and you will see a link to your recordings in the left menus. ( For staff - add the tool 'Panopto Recordings' to a course from the Settings menu > Navigation tab. (You can also embed a recording within a module, or on a page)).
- Staff and students also have access to a personal folder called 'My Folder'. You may also have access to other folders depending on associated Weblearn pages / Canvas courses you may be a member of.
- Students can then follow the same process to log into Replay Lecture Capture and view the recordings that have been made available to them.
- Faculty staff who wish to create video content on their PC/Mac must download the Panopto Manual Recorder software which can be downloaded from our Manual Recording help and guidance page